[ckan-dev] ordering of plugins

James Gardner james at 3aims.com
Tue May 31 18:25:32 UTC 2011

Hi Seb,

> For example (and this may be controversial), it would
> be nice for the configuration to live in the database, so a site
> administrator can edit it.

Why is config in a database a pre-requisite? I'm very strongly against
it having tried it before. Having said that I would like an API that
makes it easier to set/add/delete config options in the config file
which would provide the same benefit in that it means changes could be
made through a web UI/command line. (I'm thinking postconf -e here).

> An alternative would be something like apache's module system.  Each
> extension has an ini file that it drops in a known location
> (extensions-available.d/).  Enabling them is a matter of editing their
> ini file and symlinking it to extensions-enabled.d/.

I'm strongly in favour of this but there are lots of parts of the code
that rely on the Pylons format though which would need replacing so it
isn't a trivial request. Maybe something for the future?

Cheers,

James