[ckan-dev] CKAN theming

David Read david.read at okfn.org
Fri Nov 25 15:30:46 UTC 2011

I had a couple of CKAN theming questions from the Norwegians who look after
no.ckan.net.

> The “Who else is here” box on the home page shows groups, it doesn’t
really show who is there... I changed the relevant string in the
translation to “Datakilder - eksempler”. Or we could remove the box
completely.
> The link to Is it open data? doesn’t make sense for a Norwegian registry
because it leads to an English page. Can we remove it?

To simply remove a couple of sections from the page, you could just insert
a bit of CSS to 'display: none' for those bits. Put the CSS in the config
file's ckan.template_head_end. More about this here:
http://docs.ckan.org/en/latest/theming.html#adding-css

If you want to add things in, it's probably best to create a CKAN Extension
which provides a framework for more advanced customisations. We've recently
updated the ckanext-example to show how this can be used:
https://github.com/okfn/ckanext-example

David