[ckan-dev] Datapkg and ckan.net redirection to thedatahub.org

Daniel Graziotin d at danielgraziotin.it
Sat Oct 1 13:26:19 UTC 2011

> I just wanted to check you know about the early stage work done so far
> by Félix Ontañón to build a simple GUI app (codenamed DataDeck) on top
> of ckanjs and datapkg:

Thanks for the info, Napo already mentioned it. Unfortunately, the
stage objectives include the possibility to integrate the datapkg GUI
in the SOFA Statistics program
(http://www.sofastatistics.com/home.php) that is written using
wxPython. That's because I will code the GUI using wxPython, too. It
will minimize the dependencies - just datapkg will be added. Moreover,
my stage lasts 9 weeks so I must focus on something simple but fully
working.

>> 1) I am playing with datapkg in these days but I've just noticed that
>> ckan.net is redirecting to thedatahub.org. Therefore, datapkg does not
>> work anymore.
>> [..]
> OK, that's due to a bug that arose from a deployment yesterday. This
> got fixed this afternoon and should now be working again.

I confirm it's working again. Let the play continue!

>> I am using datapkg directly from the git repository. Do you know a
>> quick fix for me in order to continue exploring the tool?
>> [..]
>
> Yes. If using pip you do (in the datapkg project folder)
>
> pip install -e .
>
> If not using pip do:
>
> python setup.py develop

Good, thank you for the tip.

>> 3) I am also discussing with Napolitano whether it makes more sense to
>> have a GUI for datapkg or a GUI for ckanclient. As I understand,
>> ckanclient is a python/rest library for accessing CKAN services, but
>> it does not have the capability to create packages to be sent, while
>> datapkg handles this. Are you more interested in a datapkg GUI or in a
>> ckanclient graphical program?
>
> You could use a combination of both.
>
> @Felix: do you have any views here. I know you started building on datapkg.

I will continue to focus on datapkg for the moment, but I am open (and
happy) to hear something from Felix.

Best Regards and have a nice weekend,

Dott. Daniel Graziotin
-email: d at danielgraziotin.it