[ckan-dev] Datapkggui - proposals & questions

Daniel Graziotin d at danielgraziotin.it
Fri Oct 28 13:01:30 UTC 2011

Dear all,

As I continue the development of datapkggui (dpmg/dpmgui/datadeck -
which name should I use now?), I realize more and more that there
should be a tiny change in dpm architecture for simplifying other's
work.
There should be a library wrapping the common operations of dpm -
defined as functions - using dpm models as input and output of course.
See http://task3.cc/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Proposed-Architecture.png
for an example.
This little layer of abstraction would really help me.
In theory this is not a difficult task: we should take dpm.cli
Commands and wrap their code inside functions. Then, dpm.cli,
datapkggui.gui and future projects should use it.
I already started a tiny example here:
https://github.com/dgraziotin/datapkggui/blob/master/datapkggui/lib.py
I am adding/modifying its code when I need the functionalities in the GUI.

Questions:
1) Do you have suggestions for the name of my project?
2) Do you think that this library has sense to exist? I can continue
to work on it. It should then be moved to dpm, what do you think?
3) Being datapkggui written using wxPython, it should have a good
support for different OS. Can it directly be coded inside dpm, e.g.
dpm.gui or dpm.wxgui? I am not a setuptools master, but I think there
may exists the possibility to install the GUI by adding an option to
setup.py, or simply by checking if wxPython is installed in the
system. This makes sense if point 2 is valid. In that case, point 1
would be pointless, too.

Best Regards

Dott. Daniel Graziotin
-email: d at danielgraziotin.it