[ckan-dev] thedatahub.org login failure

Tom Morris tfmorris at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 15:09:25 UTC 2011

Thanks for the quick help.

On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 8:41 AM, Rufus Pollock <rufus.pollock at okfn.org>wrote:

> On 24 October 2011 20:30, Tom Morris <tfmorris at gmail.com> wrote:
> > When I attempt to log in to thedatahub.org using my Google account, I
> get
> > redirected to the OpenID authorization page, authorize the access, but
> then
> > when redirected back to thedatahub.org, I get Login failed. Bad username
> or
> > password. on the page at http://thedatahub.org/user/login
>
> Do you already have an account on thedatahub.org. We have recently
> changed so that you can't login in via openid without already having
> an account (it's the only way we have essential stuff like a decent
> username for you and an email!).

That kind of defeats the whole point of OpenID.

> > The URL for the authorization page is:
> >
> https://accounts.google.com/o/openid2/auth?openid.ns=http://specs.openid.net/auth/2.0&openid.identity=http://specs.openid.net/auth/2.0/identifier_select&openid.claimed_id=http://specs.openid.net/auth/2.0/identifier_select&openid.mode=checkid_setup&openid.realm=http://thedatahub.org&openid.assoc_handle=AOQobUcHvtS0gIYVpsA8bQy1VOBz5qrOIyoHTgowRxSFamyD35A2TQY1&openid.return_to=http://thedatahub.org/login_openid?janrain_nonce%3D2011-10-24T19%253A21%253A27Z62ylbi&hl=en-US&from_login=1&as=-692ca192f363e731&pli=1
>
> My guess is the classic problem we have google and openid login (and
> why we are strongly minded to deprecate openid entirely): google's
> openid identifier is per website and because ckan.net now redirects to
> thedatahub.org it is not recognizing you.

It seems like a step back to delete a feature like OpenID.

I checked and it was going to thedatahub.org directly.  I had granted access
to that and two different CKAN addresses (ckan.net and one other that I
didn't note before I revoked it).

> > Any idea what is going on here or what I can do to fix it?  In case it
> helps
> > track this down, I think these are some of my historical edits (before
> the
> > move to the new thedatahub.org
> > domain): http://thedatahub.org/user/e0b6cba4-91e5-4312-8740-de1a2b9bcc7b
>
> OK, so I (any other sysadmin could do this) have changed your username
> to tommorris. I will send you password via email. You could then login
> and associate openid with your account (put it in openid field) though
> issue with google is you don't know what it is before logging in with
> it (your existing openid is already there).

Not to look a gift horse in the mouth or anything, but if that account name
is visible anywhere it will probably confuse people since that's the account
name that the English Tom Morris uses (and he's a likely potential visitor
to CKAN).

Anyway, after all this, Google's OpenID is still giving the same error
despite my revoking and regranting access to thedatahub.org.  Unless you can
think of anything else, I guess I'll just assume my previous edits will be
unattributed and plan to log in using a password from now on.

Thanks for your help.

Tom