[ckan-dev] API response as XML?

David Read david.read at okfn.org
Tue Oct 4 12:42:39 UTC 2011

On 4 October 2011 12:54, Chris Wallace <kit.wallace at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks both for the info about the RDF store and its API - If I understand
> this correctly, this would require CKAN metadata (or a subset of it mapped
> to RDF vocabularies) to be first exported to the RDF store from where it can
> be queried using this API .  As William says, although RDF-XML is indeed XML
> it is hard to navigate directly without first added to ta triple store. An
> alternative would be to query the RDF store directly with SPARQL  and use
> the the XML Sparql Result .
>
> However this does not really meet the need of developers using XML
> languages such as XQuery and XSLT, requiring access to the CKAN metadata in
> exactly the same structure as is provided currently as JSON.  In my own
> work, I am developing server-based applictaions using an XML database
> (eXist) and XQuery.   I have written a hack parser of the JSON in XQuery to
> get going, but it is  more efficient  and in my case more complete  if data
> is provided directly as XML as an alternative to JSON, in the same structure
> as the JSON but using XML notation.  In languages like PHP and Python, the
> structured data has to be parsed to create  internal objects so work is
> needed whether the tansport format is JSON or XML. An XML database can
> simply store and access the XML documents directly, so its more efficient if
> the data feed is output as XML.

Ah, I see now - you're not interested in stylesheets, shared ontologies etc.
- you just want freeform xml to put in the data in an XML database.

We've not had this request before, but if you or another volunteer here
would like to write a CKAN extension, you could add some alternative APIs
that work in XML.

David