[ckan-dev] Datapkg and ckan.net redirection to thedatahub.org

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Fri Sep 30 22:51:01 BST 2011

cc'ing ckan-dev

On 30 September 2011 14:25, Daniel Graziotin <d at danielgraziotin.it> wrote:
> Hi Rufus,
>
> As you probably know I am planning to write a wxPython gui for
> datapkg, temporarily called datapkg-gui and have some questions for
> you:

Great to hear from you :-)

I just wanted to check you know about the early stage work done so far
by Félix Ontañón to build a simple GUI app (codenamed DataDeck) on top
of ckanjs and datapkg:

<http://wiki.ckan.org/DataDeck>
<https://github.com/okfn/ckanjs/tree/datadeck>

If you wanted something even simpler you can try the pure-js version
of the app built just using ckanjs: <https://github.com/okfn/ckanjs>

> 1) I am playing with datapkg in these days but I've just noticed that
> ckan.net is redirecting to thedatahub.org. Therefore, datapkg does not
> work anymore. I tried modifying the config.py file  (this line
> https://github.com/okfn/datapkg/blob/master/datapkg/config.py#L47) to
> point to the new location (http://thedatahub.org/api/), but this is
> what I am receiving:
> $ datapkg --debug search ckan:// iso
> DEBUG:datapkg.index:datapkg: CKAN config: {'base_location':
> 'http://thedatahub.org/api', 'api_key': ''}
> Error: "Bad request - Bad search option: Invalid search parameters: [u'limit']"

OK, that's due to a bug that arose from a deployment yesterday. This
got fixed this afternoon and should now be working again.

[...]

> I am using datapkg directly from the git repository. Do you know a
> quick fix for me in order to continue exploring the tool?
>
> 2) I am not familiar with setuptools. Is there a way to directly test
> a modification in the Python code without having to do a setup.py
> install? That is, can I directly run the code from datapkg project
> folder?

Yes. If using pip you do (in the datapkg project folder)

pip install -e .

If not using pip do:

python setup.py develop

> 3) I am also discussing with Napolitano whether it makes more sense to
> have a GUI for datapkg or a GUI for ckanclient. As I understand,
> ckanclient is a python/rest library for accessing CKAN services, but
> it does not have the capability to create packages to be sent, while
> datapkg handles this. Are you more interested in a datapkg GUI or in a
> ckanclient graphical program?

You could use a combination of both.

@Felix: do you have any views here. I know you started building on datapkg.

Rufus