[ckan-dev] [ckan-discuss] How to install extensions for a package installation?

David Read david.read at okfn.org
Tue Sep 6 15:31:01 UTC 2011

Hi Max

Thanks for the message about installing extensions. I'm just CC'ing
this answer to ckan-dev where we prefer to keep technical discussions
like this, freeing up ckan-discuss for more general discussion.

On 6 September 2011 16:13, Max Ludwig <maxe.ludwig at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I read the docs on installing extensions (
> http://docs.ckan.org/en/latest/extensions.html#installing-an-extension ) but
> I didn't understand step 3

Ok, I can help! Is it the wording that is the problem? Or maybe it's
one of the steps:
1. Can you find the extension's "setup.py" file?
2. Can you find the name of the extension in the setup.py?
3. Do you know which is your "CKAN config file"?
4. Can you edit the "ckan.plugins" line to include the name of the extension?

> and it seems that these steps are not applicable
> for a package installation.

Maybe we could improve the wording, but it definitely is applicable
for package installation. Step one of 'installing an extension' has a
link to the help page which describes setting up a virtual environment
if you've done a package installation:
http://docs.ckan.org/en/latest/prepare-extensions.html

David