[ckan-dev] pypi releases

David Read david.read at okfn.org
Fri Sep 16 11:33:28 UTC 2011

Have people had any luck with the CKAN releases on PyPI? I'm wondering
if they are subtly broken and unused...

I've been investigating this a start-up exception:
 "migrate.versioning.exceptions.InvalidRepositoryError:
/home/dread/hgroot/test/lib/python2.6/site-packages/ckan/migration"
which is caused when the ckan/migration/migrate.cfg file is missing.
It seems that the PyPI releases don't contain this file! It is due to
a problem with eggs created with sdist (which we use to upload to
PyPI): http://www.mail-archive.com/distutils-sig@python.org/msg02794.html

This would explain Ewan's difficulty installing CKAN:
http://lists.okfn.org/pipermail/ckan-discuss/2011-June/001359.html

(The solution is to install from Bitbucket rather than PyPI - see the
docs http://readthedocs.org/docs/ckan/en/ckan-1.4.3/install-from-source.html
)

@Rufus perhaps you know about this?

David