[ckan-dev] connecting Drupal and CKAN

David Raznick kindly at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 20:58:49 UTC 2011

Hello

> In the README.txt of the ckanpackage module it says:
>
>          “If you now run the drush command
>
>          drush  ckan_checkallandnew
>
>          All the data packages on the CKAN site will be created as Drupal
> nodes."
>

> This works fine if there are no ckanpacakge nodes in the Drupal database
> already.
>

> Then it says:
>
>          "Periodically run the following command to query the CKAN API for
> any updates and ensure the Drupal nodes are updated accordingly.
>
>          drush ckan_update"
>

> This is where our problem starts. The ckan_update command seems to work
> erratically. Sometimes the updates on packages in the CKAN repository
> (changed values, new packages, deleted packages) get through, but most of
> the time they do not. Sometimes duplicate or empty nodes (even without a
> title) are created in the Drupal database. Most of the duplicates get the
> “unpublished” state by the way (I don’t know if this is by design for
> updated nodes).
>

> After concluding that the ckan_update command was not working reliably we
> tried to use the ckan_checkllandnew command instead (knowing that it would
> go through all packages again). This also did not work reliably if there
> were already packages in the Drupal database.
>

> We finally resorted to automatically deleting all ckan packages from the
> Drupal database every night at 01:00 and running the ckan_checkallandnew
> command at 01:15 to update the Drupal database on a daily basis.
>

> My first question is if you have a newer version of the module available
> that possibly addresses issues with updating the ckanpackage nodes in
> Drupal?

The latest version is located in the ckan_dgu branch of the repository
on drupal.org.

i.e
http://drupalcode.org/project/ckan.git/shortlog/refs/heads/ckan_dgu

We have not had any particular problems with the dgu import process
for quite a while, however there setup may be different from yours.

I have copied in ckan-dev, and can any follow ups also be sent there
because there are more people looking at the list that may be able to
help.

Thanks

David