[ckan-dev] Use git submodules to manage recline in CKAN

Sean Hammond sean.hammond at okfn.org
Fri Apr 13 11:23:45 UTC 2012

> we're using them in OpenSpending and they are clearly the right
> solution in theory. In practice, keeping them in sync, making sure
> they get deployed when necessary and explaining them to people who
> just want to play with your codebase has proven a horrible PITA.

I agree. Submodules are fine if you know exactly what you're doing, but
they throw you into some pretty hairy git situations by default. You get
all kinds of confusing messages from git about being in a "detached
head" state, you make commits that are not on any branch, files inside
submodules can get left lying around when you change branches and
confuse git status, and committing changes to submodules can also create
confusing messages. It's one of git's advanced features that is a
usability nightmare.