[ckan-dev] CKAN Community Features

Sean Hammond sean.hammond at okfn.org
Wed Apr 18 10:03:03 UTC 2012

> I am in the process of adding screenshots to the CKAN features pages on
> ckan.org. I am hoping someone might be able to point me to some nice
> examples of features we are currently missing.
>
> First up http://ckan.org/features/community/

So taking the extensions mentioned on that page one at a time:

1. Comments extension.

I think this refers to ckanext-disqus. Anyone looked at that recently?
Can you provide a screenshot? If not I can take a look.

2. Follow extension.

We are currently implementing following as a feature in CKAN core but
it's not ready yet. There is also the ckanext-follower extension which I
guess is what this refers to:

https://github.com/okfn/ckanext-follower/

We're not sure if it works on CKAN 1.6. I could try out the extension to
see if I can get it working to take a screenshot, but it might be worth
removing this from the website until we've finished rewriting it in CKAN
core?

3. TODO extension

I guess this refers to ckanext-issues:

https://github.com/okfn/ckanext-issues

Nobody has touched that for a while. I'll take a quick look and see if
it still works with CKAN 1.6 and try to get a screenshot.

4. Share

As far as I know this is an in-progress feature? Or is there an existing
extension for it?

5. RSS/Atom feeds

If you visit a dataset's page there is a History tab, e.g.

http://thedatahub.org/dataset/history/the-beatles-for-cultural-diversity

http://thedatahub.org/dataset/history/the-beatles-for-cultural-diversity?days=7&format=atom

We should probably put a link to the feed somewhere on the dataset or
history page to make it easier to find.

* * *

By the way there is obviously a problem that CKAN has a lot of
extensions, but extensions that worked with older versions of CKAN often
don't work with newer versions. Making this situation more stable is
something the dev team are currently looking into.