[ckan-dev] CKAN Community Features

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Wed Apr 18 14:12:08 UTC 2012

On Wednesday, 18 April 2012, Toby Dacre wrote:

> On 18 April 2012 11:03, Sean Hammond <sean.hammond at okfn.org> wrote:
>>
>> > I am in the process of adding screenshots to the CKAN features pages on
>> > ckan.org. I am hoping someone might be able to point me to some nice
>> > examples of features we are currently missing.
>> >
>> > First up http://ckan.org/features/community/
>>
>> So taking the extensions mentioned on that page one at a time:
>>
>> 1. Comments extension.
>>
>> I think this refers to ckanext-disqus. Anyone looked at that recently?
>> Can you provide a screenshot? If not I can take a look.
>

> I am looking at the extension at the moment screenshots should be available on thedatahub when completed
> I may get an example in the next day or so

Easy to get a screenshot.

>> 2. Follow extension.
>>
>> We are currently implementing following as a feature in CKAN core but
>> it's not ready yet. There is also the ckanext-follower extension which I
>> guess is what this refers to:
>>
>> https://github.com/okfn/ckanext-follower/
>>
>> We're not sure if it works on CKAN 1.6. I could try out the extension to
>> see if I can get it working to take a screenshot, but it might be worth
>> removing this from the website until we've finished rewriting it in CKAN
>> core?

I think we are about to merge this with activity. Suggest holding off
until this is working. IIRC John Glover did initial work on this and
may have some screenshots / blog posts.

>> 3. TODO extension
>>
>> I guess this refers to ckanext-issues:
>>
>> https://github.com/okfn/ckanext-issues
>>
>> Nobody has touched that for a while. I'll take a quick look and see if
>> it still works with CKAN 1.6 and try to get a screenshot.

Currently deprecated. I would remove from the page.

>> 4. Share
>>
>> As far as I know this is an in-progress feature? Or is there an existing
>> extension for it?

> This sounds like the new ckanext-social which adds twitter g+ facebook type share buttons.  Currently this uses the sharethis.com service but could easily add other items such as twitter buttons if needed (the twitter button is partially implemented but stalled due to the switch to share this.  It requires ckan 1.7 due to ITemplateHelpers interface should be on thedatahub soon like disqus

Exactly. Defer until new version is operational in next couple of weeks.

rufus