[ckan-dev] dataset urls

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Fri Apr 20 12:50:39 UTC 2012

On 20 April 2012 13:06, Toby Dacre <toby.okfn at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm sending this again.
>
> I think I wasn't clear enough on the reason for this request.  It is mainly
> for the disqus plugin.  Although the plugin uses a unique id for the disqus
> comments eg dataset::3233-112312-32112 so comments can follow url changes.

I believe disqus actually has 2 options here, see:

<http://docs.disqus.com/help/2/>

disqus_identifier
disqus_url

With first used in preference to the second to identify the page. I'd
therefore suggest using the real id for the dataset for the first and
and the page's normal url for the second (which will use the object's
'name/slug' if it exists.

> However when the first comment for that id is first created disqus saves the
> url of the page (this url is setable so we can give any url we want at this
> time).  The problem is that the url is used in the recent comments part of
> disqus so that if url changes in ckan all links in the recent comments for
> that dataset will no longer work.  It may be possible to change this
> somewhere in the discus dashboard but I haven't found it

My feeling here is we do want to use the normal human viewable name /
slug. Name changing *should* be allowed but *should* be painful --
it's like renaming your repo in github (you can do it but as you are
warned this will break any links that exist etc)

> the options
> a) we don't care use the current dataset url

+1

> b) use the /dataset/uuid url (ugly but solves the problem)

-1

> c) Sean's solution keep old urls (adds extra complexity)

-1

> d) Sean's solution don't let people change urls (nasty if spelling mistakes
> in url etc)

-1

> e) provide permanent urls that do redirects to the actual url

-1

> What should we do?

See reasoning above. Just give the current url with name.

Rufus