[ckan-dev] Version numbers on master

Adrià Mercader amercadero at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 11:13:06 UTC 2012

> On 24 April 2012 14:15, Toby Dacre <toby.okfn at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>2012/4/24 Adrià Mercader <adria.mercader at okfn.org>
>
> From my point of view I'd really like master to have a valid version
> number.  At the moment I'd see it as 1.7beta or 1.7-rc.  One reason is that
> this may have an impact on extensions as they can now test for versions of
> ckan
That sounds reasonable. I think that we use to define the version on
master as the next major release plus 'a' (for alpha). When we branch
a release it will have 'b' (for beta), and we will drop the b after
testing. So (hopefully) today or tomorrow after branching, master will
be 1.8a

>> Also, what do you think of having a notice in the docs homepage saying
>> which version you are looking at? We get quite a few confused users
>> looking at the wrong version of the docs.
>>
>> http://i.imgur.com/bj3Cy.png
>>
> This would be a very good idea
I add it for this release.

> Also should things like the API docs point to the docs for the ckan version
> not just latest
This is also a good idea, it would be nice if the link was built
automatically to not having to edit it manually on each release. In
this case we'd need a way of linking to latest docs when not on a
release. As it is not trivial, I've created a ticket for next release
[1]

On 24 April 2012 14:33, Rufus Pollock <rufus.pollock at okfn.org> wrote:
> Surely, in general we should *never* be merging release branches into
> master. It should either be cherry-picking or the other way round.
> Merging from a release branch into master suggests workflow isn't
> quite right ;-)
It's what we have been doing until now. If we manage release branches
properly (i.e only pushing fixes, docs and translations to them), that
shouldn't be an issue, because it's stuff that we want in master
anyway. But I'm open to suggestions.

Adrià

[1] http://trac.ckan.org/ticket/2324