[ckan-dev] Translation issues

Toby Dacre toby.okfn at gmail.com
Thu Aug 2 08:29:50 UTC 2012

Hi,

With the new ckan work we have some translation issues - maybe they have
already been solved or people have some useful input - ec-portal had some
similar issues

1) Translating on the fly

We allow people to edit text such as the about page - this should be
translated or at least have a version for each language - this is already
broken if ckan.site_about config is used.  Where would be the place to keep
this? How would it be accessed - maybe we just have a different version
that can be administered when the language is selected - this would be
fairly easy as far as the system config is concerned.

2) Translating Field Titles

In resource view page we have additional fields these should be translated
- some we know some are user defined - We probably want the know ones
translated as normal but how about the custom ones? - This feels it would
need a custom system to administer

3) JavaScript Translations

We are moving to a more gettext style approach with the JavaScript. We can
do this but we want them separate from the non-js translations - We could
do this as a different process but babel does not seem to allow multiple
set-ups (Ideally we need an extra keyword for js translate(), pluralize()
but babel adds these to all file types not just js).  Maybe someone has a
good understanding of babel/setup tools.  I've looked through lots of the
babel code and it seems inflexible.  Is having 2 .pot files a problem eg
Transifex costs

Regards
Toby