[ckan-dev] Schema Validation (show_group)

Toby Dacre toby.okfn at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 08:17:10 UTC 2012

Could someone please clarify the purpose of
ckan.lib.navl.dictization_functions.validate

My limited understanding was that it is used to validate/clean data used in
saving objects via forms/api etc this seems reasonable even if I don't like
the way that it changes the passed dict - but that's another story.

It however is also used in some of the show logic actions - related_show,
package_show (only if validate: True is set in the context), most of the
follower gets

It is used in group_show but was being discarded Sean's commit
e9b4f65c4014ce4 fixed this but has 'broken' the demo site as this causes
the groups package dict to be stripped from the full package info to just
name and title. We were using this to display group packages on the home
page and want the notes.

>From my point of view this is a regression and should at minimum be
activated via a context option.

So my questions are

1) why are we validating in the logic action gets?

2) why is it not done consistently?

3) what are we going to do with group_show specifically?

Anyone got the answers

Toby