[ckan-dev] Translation issues

Toby Dacre toby.okfn at gmail.com
Fri Aug 10 07:35:45 UTC 2012

On 9 August 2012 20:18, Sean Hammond <sean.hammond at okfn.org> wrote:

> 1) Translating on the fly
>>
>> We allow people to edit text such as the about page - this should be
>> translated or at least have a version for each language - this is
>> already broken if ckan.site_about config is used.  Where would be the
>> place to keep this? How would it be accessed - maybe we just have a
>> different version that can be administered when the language is selected
>> - this would be fairly easy as far as the system config is concerned.
>>
>> 2) Translating Field Titles
>>
>> In resource view page we have additional fields these should be
>> translated - some we know some are user defined - We probably want the
>> know ones translated as normal but how about the custom ones? - This
>> feels it would need a custom system to administer
>>

> The multilingual extension in core could be extended to translate these
> fields, it currently translates things like dataset and group titles and
> other metadata fields, tags, etc. Seems sensible at first glance.
>
> I wonder if the multilingual extension could handle things like the about
> text as well.

Sean,

Thanks,

Do you know where the translations are actually done?  I see we are using
term_translation_table to hold the values but I can't see where they get
set apart from via the api

It does look as though it is a sensible place as we are already using this
I'm assuming - we may need to make it slightly more flexible - currently we
have set languages defined. I appreciate the need for the stop words etc.

Are you the best person to liaise with about this

Toby