[ckan-dev] Privacy policy and registration

Mark Wainwright mark.wainwright at okfn.org
Wed Feb 15 10:37:44 UTC 2012

thedatahub.org links on every page to a Privacy Policy, which is the
standard okfn one:

http://okfn.org/privacy-policy/

This is not fit for purpose as it stands. The Datahub collects an
e-mail address when you register, and we are therefore required to say
what we will do with this information. In practice we have recently
started sending out an occasional DataHub newsletter. (As you can see
below not everyone is happy about this.) We need to do two things:

(i) change the privacy policy to mention this and specify
unsubscription information,

(ii) change the sign-up procedure so that, when giving an e-mail
address, the user can opt in or out of receiving newsletters (eg with
a check-box).

I believe both of these are legal requirements under data protection laws.

Mark