[ckan-dev] New feature: spatial filter

Adrià Mercader amercadero at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 15:03:34 UTC 2012

Sorry, looks like test.ckan.org being down right now or pointing to
the wrong place, but it should be back shortly

On 22 February 2012 14:39, Toby Dacre <toby.okfn at gmail.com> wrote:
> 1) the tiles are quite slow to load - not sure how much you can do about
> that
Nothing much really, it's mostly up to the tiles provider. We are
using Mapquest Open [1], as it is based on Open Street Map and allows
direct access to the tiles (as opposed to e.g. Google which forces you
to use their javascript API), in our case from OpenLayers.
The only other freely available option comparable in terms of direct
access to tiles that I know of is Bing Maps.

> 2) when I search the map resizes (for best fit) which is confusing as it
> changes from what was searched on. search a tiny area to see this
I see your point. (just make it clear, the area you selected and the
one you see after the search is the same one). The only solution I can
think of is passing the current extent as a parameter when doing the
search, so the result page can adjust it. If it is not present, just
fit to the are as now.

> 3) it might be nice to search other shapes eg circle or freehand
It is definitely possible but I wouldn't like to add more complexity
to it and just focus to a single way to search (the current bbox based
one or a different one)

> Toby
Thanks, that was very useful

Adrià