[ckan-dev] New feature: spatial filter

Adrià Mercader amercadero at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 15:32:45 UTC 2012

On 22 February 2012 15:17, Sean Hammond <sean.hammond at okfn.org> wrote:
> This looks great!
Thanks!

As you can see, getting the user interface right for getting input
from a map (as opposed to simply just navigate across the map) is
really really tricky :)

> Perhaps it should use the right or middle mouse button to select an area,
> instead of having to use the onscreen button to enable a select-an-area
> mode? I've heard that modes in user interfaces confuse a lot of people.
I don't like actions with right/middle buttons because they have other
clear functions associated (context menu for right click and new tab
for middle click). On some other projects I have used "Ctrl +
drag/click" to draw the geometries, but I don't think most web users
like to move their hand to the keyboard unless for typing urls or
fields. Besides, you will need a notice anywhere to tell the users

I kind of like how all tools for navigating (zoom controls, mouse
wheel,) are inside the map and the modal button is separated from it,
as it is a different kind of tool.

> You could also get rid of the Clear button, since whenever you draw a new
> region it automatically clears the old one anyway.
We need a clear button in case you don't want to filter by are
anymore. Maybe we can make less evident if necessary.

Adrià