[ckan-dev] git branching

Sean Hammond sean.hammond at okfn.org
Fri Jan 6 12:00:47 UTC 2012

On 12/21/2011 01:19 PM, David Read wrote:
> So, I'd like to propose that every commit includes the ticket number
> in the comment, even when on a branch.
> e.g.
> [1502] Finished tests and added doc
>
> What do people think?

I think we should use #xxx to reference tickets, it's less characters
than [xxx] and GitHub automatically recognises #xxx and does fancy stuff
like hyperlinks it to the ticket, and puts a link to the commit in the
comments on the ticket page as well (or it would if we were using GitHub
Issues).

It's already fairly challenging to summarise some commits in under 50
characters for the first line of a git commit message, so I suggest we
do just ticket numbers and not other stuff.

P.S. GitHub also recognises strings like "closes #345" in commit
messages and automatically closes the referenced issue. (Apparently it
also recognises: Closes, closed, fixes, Fixes, fixed, Fixed.)

See under Commits + Issues on this page:

https://github.com/blog/831-issues-2-0-the-next-generation