[ckan-dev] CKAN update from source

David Read david.read at okfn.org
Sun Jan 15 22:23:04 UTC 2012

On 13 January 2012 14:36,  <p.romain at cg33.fr> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am back with my deployment issues :)

Happy New Year! :-)

> I want to upgrade my ckan instance installed on a redhat distribution an I
> would like to know what was the best way to go.
> I guess it is not mandatory to use openJdk and Jetty, so I wondered if there
> were some configuration required in order to use tomcat and jdk with the
> latest CKAN distribution ?

Yes, members of the team have run SOLR on Tomcat before. The only
setup required is the schema file. I think we switched to Jetty
because it was easier to suited our packaging system, but I don't
remember there being anything difficult about Tomcat.

> In addition to this I use Solr with my Drupal web site so it is already
> installed ; I read in the doc the different steps required to have a
> multiple Solr Core. There are nothing more required ?

Either multiple or single core. You just need SOLR running as standard
and configure it to use the CKAN schema.

> Finally, can I upgrade the CKAN sources using a git command or do I have to
> upgrade also the dependancies ?

Yes, just use git as normal - I suggest getting the version tagged
ckan-1.5.1. You'll be some new dependencies, so you'll have to follow
the pip install requires/.. steps of the source install. And finally a
'paster db upgrade' command (or just 'paster db clean' & 'paster db
init' if you don't need to retain the existing datasets.

> It is possible for me to start with a fresh install : is is a better way to
> go or should I try to upgrade my 1.4a current distribution ?

No need to start afresh, but it would be useful to move aside your
ckan config file (.ini), create a fresh one and copy in the key
existing settings. The config file has a few new options now.

> Also I will be able to start in the following months to actively contribute
> to the development of the interaction between drupal and CKAN. I have not
> noticed much activity on the drupal module page
> https://drupal.org/project/ckan neither on the okfn ckan module
> https://github.com/okfn/ckan-drupal.

Yes, it's not been a priority over the last few months, due to our
customers who drove this before being focussed on other things. I'm
not aware of the current status of this, so perhaps someone else on
the team can pitch in here?

> Is this functionnality still on your priority list ? Is the DGU team still
> working on this ? Are there any plans on porting those developments to
> drupal 7 ? I have also noticed that the EU project
> http://ec.europa.eu/information_society/policy/psi/open_data/call_tenders/index_en.htm
> is based on the same interaction. Is the company working on this project
> planning on developping this module ?

There are various methods already employed for Drupal integration, but
I think there is lots of room for improvement so your offer help is
welcomed - perhaps we should have another meeting on taking this
forward?

I'm not clear on EC Open Data Portal plans - but hopefully things will
be clearer soon.

> Sorry for all those questions but I would really like to make this to work
> and to be as useful as possible to the CKAN community.

Great to have you involved Pascal!

David