[ckan-dev] OpenID and the CKAN future

Toby Dacre toby.okfn at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 12:39:35 UTC 2012

Following on from Salman's OpenID bug post on the list and some irc
chatting with Ross & Sean.

Where do we want to go with this?  The last time I was involved in this
debate (a few months back) it sounded like we where definitely removing
support for openID and all that was preventing this was migrating users to
'normal' accounts.  If I recall correctly the openID stuff was a bit broken
eg around google logins etc. but as it was being killed there was no
incentive to fix due to the complexity/time needed.

As I see it we should either bite the bullet and kill openID or we should
make it work nicely.

Although personally I have never trusted OpenID, as I believe it is
phishable I can see it being of benefit to others and anything to reduce
the number of logins in the cloud based crazyness of todays interweb has
its advantages.  So I can see it's value to people other than myself.  In a
previous life using app engine the google account tie-in sometimes made
life simpler - although multiple google accounts do not seem to be
supported outside google/paid gmail - but that's another story.

Anyhow if we do keep the openID stuff (and maybe even if we kill that) We
should probably consider such evils as facebook/twitter integration - again
being a believer in the asocial-web this is not for me but it could well be
beneficial for those that enjoy such things and also is likely a much
larger userbase than openID etc

So what's the feelings of the ckan crew (and users) to this?  Do we kill /
fix / extend?  There is also the whole repoze.who stuff to which I'd really
like to remove if we can.

cheers
toby