[ckan-dev] "Failed to get credentials for storage upload"

Sean Hammond sean.hammond at okfn.org
Wed Jul 11 09:56:31 UTC 2012

> I have just setup a local CKAN instance (CKAN 1.7 on Ubuntu 10.04 on
> Virtual Box), and am trying to upload a dataset as admin user. And I am
> getting the following error "Failed to get credentials for storage upload.
> Upload cannot proceed".
>
> I followed the instructions here:
> http://docs.ckan.org/en/ckan-1.7.1/filestore.html
>
> And I have also followed the suggestion to create an empty file my storage
> directory, called pairtree_version0_1, as someone suggested here:
> http://lists.okfn.org/pipermail/ckan-dev/2012-March/001792.html
>
> And I'm still getting the same message. Any help would be appreciated.

Are you using a CKAN source install or a package install?

Possibilities:

- Is pairtree installed in your virtualenv? pip install pairtree

- What are the UNIX permissions on the directory that your ofs.storage_dir
  is set to? (The user that CKAN is running as needs to have rwx
  permissions for this directory)

- Where did you put the ofs settings in your ini file? They should be in
  the [app:main} section

- Are you seeing any errors in the CKAN logs when you try to upload a
  file? These would either be in the console (if running CKAN with
  paster) or somewhere like /var/log/apache/ if running with apache.

- If all else fails can you run `pip freeze` in your virtualenv and send
  me the output?