[ckan-dev] Moving from readthedocs to self hosting?

Sean Hammond sean.hammond at okfn.org
Mon Jun 11 09:51:40 UTC 2012

> CKAN's autodoc-generated docs for the extensions API and the CKAN API
> are still missing from docs.ckan.org. They build fine locally (I just
> tested on a fresh Ubuntu 10.04 VM), but on readthedocs we're getting
> this KeyError;
>
> http://readthedocs.org/builds/ckan/166559/
>
> This looks to me like a problem on their end, but maybe someone else
> will see something I didn't.
>
> Last time we had a problem like this I got someone from rtd to fix the
> problem on their server. This time it's been a week and I haven't been
> able to get a response from them on their IRC channel or mailing list.
>
> I'd like to get these docs fixed before 1.7.1 goes out. Maybe someone
> from rtd will get back to me in time. If not, possible solutions:
>
> - Move temporarily to somewhere self-hosted, and let rtd know we've had
>   to do this
> - Move permanently to somewhere self-hosted
> - Stay on rtd but insert a line into the docs that says something like
>   'autodoc sometimes fails on readthedocs, if you don't see API docs
>   below then find them [in the source code]' with a link to the relevant
>   source files on github, and keep trying to get rtd to fix the problem
>
> If we go with self-hosting we should be able to get jenkins to build the
> docs automatically when new commits are pushed to github and push the
> html to a server.

I've setup a jenkins job that builds the ckan docs after each push to
github:

http://s031.okserver.org:8080/job/Build_CKAN_Docs/

It rsyncs the latest compiled html for each branch to a public_html dir
on s031, for example:

http://s031.okserver.org/~jenkins/master/

http://s031.okserver.org/~jenkins/release-v1.7.1/

Unfortunately the apache config doesn't let you see a list of all the
branches at http://s031.okserver.org/~jenkins/ , but if we were going to
move to this we'd have to host the docs somewhere else anyway, so I
haven't spent much time trying to fix that.

Anyone got any ideas where we should host the HTML files?