[ckan-dev] API Validation

David Read david.read at hackneyworkshop.com
Fri Mar 9 16:28:36 UTC 2012

My clients are using the CKAN API and are suffering a little due to
the inputs not being validated.

For example, when they ask CKAN to create a dataset, and the JSON they
include mistakenly has a list instead of dict, they get simply '500
Server Error' - not very helpful.

The CKAN forms use the excellent validation system, so we are adding
validators for some of our custom fields. But of course we'd like this
validation to also apply to metadata coming in via the API too.

I understand you've been talking about making calls to it in the
RESTful APIs - is that in the works now? Is it headed for the
forthcoming 1.6.1 release?

Dave