[ckan-dev] OpenID

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Mon Mar 12 09:12:02 UTC 2012

On 9 March 2012 18:37, Toby Dacre <toby.okfn at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On the subject of depreciating things, I'd like to start the move away from
> OpenID.  Talking to David Raznick this seems to be a leftover from earlier
> times. People need to register to use it now and it was unclear to me how to
> link a none openID eg google account to my user account. It also complicates
> the log in page.

The question here is how many users care about it. Regarding the UX
I'd note that we could definitely improve that if we wanted (i.e.
allow you to auto associate your OpenID account once you are logged in
...).

However, I'm generally +1 on removing it ...

> Some current users of OpenID may not have registered accounts. so we need to
> transition them.  We could start to give them warnings of it's withdrawal
> and request them to create proper accounts if they have not already done so
> using flash messages.

The harder problem is generating username for existing openid-ers (on
e.g. the DataHub).

Rufus

> We could then look at removing it as a method of access in a year or so
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Toby

Co-Founder, Open Knowledge Foundation