[ckan-dev] Storing/searching/displaying XML resources

Haq, Salman Salman.Haq at neustar.biz
Mon May 7 16:17:01 UTC 2012

I have a special use case where I want to store XML resources. For each such resource, I want to display a custom view that allows the user to add/edit the data in the resource. This is very similar to what ckanext-datastorer does except in my use case, the resource has a specialized view.

Would the community recommend that I enhance ckanext-datastorer or use it as a template for a new custom extension? I am leaning towards the latter.

Also, how does ckanext-datastorer store the parsed data? It doesn't appear to have any special models for storing tabular data in the main postrgres db. Does it rely primarily on ElasticSearch as the backing store? Does this mean that I will have to convert my XML documents into JSON documents and then store them via the data API?

Also, from the docs and source code, I still can't figure out what ckanext-archiver does and how it relates to ckanext-datastorer. They both seem to share some common code.

To elaborate more on my use case, the XML document actually represents metadata about a database (eg: tables, columns, keys, row counts, etc). One way to think of the extension is as a 'metadatastorer'. The resources could be in XML format, or in the future, additional formats may be supported for different types of stores (eg: NoSQL dbs, etc)

Thanks,
Salman