[ckan-dev] Search results format different in 1.7 from 1.5 (but still API v2)

Allan Glen allan.glen at opencolorado.org
Wed May 23 23:16:31 UTC 2012

At OpenColorado we have client web applications that use the CKAN Search
API against the master data catalog at http://colorado.ckan.net.
 OpenColorado is currently running on CKAN 1.5 and I am testing with CKAN
1.7 to make sure our installed client applications are compatible.

In testing I have found that the format of search results has changed in a
breaking way even though it is still version 2 of the API.

For example, compare the following responses:

CKAN 1.5:
http://colorado.ckan.net/api/2/search/package?groups=arvada&order_by=rank&limit=2&all_fields=1

CKAN 1.7:
http://50.112.122.9/api/2/search/dataset?groups=denver&order_by=rank&limit=2&all_fields=1

In the first example the resources are provided in a single "resources"
array.

In the second example the resources are provided in multiple arrays (
res_description, res_url, res_format).

I am missing something or are we now unable to upgrade to CKAN 1.7 unless
we upgrade all of our client applications at the same time?

Thanks,
Allan