[ckan-dev] #2433 API version 3 changes

Toby Dacre toby.okfn at gmail.com
Fri May 25 15:32:53 UTC 2012

reported issue
===========
According to the documentation, the APIs version 2 and 3 should return id's
as references.
Therefore, I changeg 'if api == 2...' to 'if api >= 2...' to select 'id' as
the returned reference.
===========

Actually the docs aren't clear about version 3 unless I'm being dim.  It
would seem sensible to make this change however it does change how the
Action API behaves and as a consequence breaks several tests (at least 4) -
these are simple to fix we get the id not the name.

the affected actions
===============
package_list
package_relationship_create
revision_show
group_list
package_update_validate

It would be nice to get this fixed and I'm loathed to suggest adding a
version 4 hack.
If we make this change it will break things for existing users.  This
behaviour has existed since the action api was added as far as I'm aware

links: http://trac.ckan.org/ticket/2433 from pull request
https://github.com/okfn/ckan/pull/5

So should we
a) leave it forever and document
b) break things and fix it - when 1.7.1 or 1.8?
c) a magical solution

Thanks
Toby