[ckan-dev] DataStore config questions

Jim Craner jim at codeforamerica.org
Sun May 27 12:49:27 UTC 2012

Hi everyone,

I'm having some difficulties getting the DataStore feature working on
my CKAN 1.7 / Ubuntu 10.04 LTS (package install) implementation.  What
I've done so far:

* ElasticSearch is running on port 9200 (lynx localhost:9200 returns a
json file with a 200 OK code and the ES version string)

* I have nginx installed and running as a front-end for Apache2.  I
used this gist as my guide for this:

https://gist.github.com/2637431

Seems to be working fine -- nginx is running on 80, passing off to
default CKAN apache on 8080.

* I added the custom elastic snippet to the nginx.conf file
referencing elasticsearch on localhost:9200

* I set ckan.datastore.enabled =1 in my ckan .ini file.

* I installed the latest version of ckanext-datastorer, supervisor,
and set up the celery supervisor script

-- At this point, am I missing something from the configuration?

* I then uploaded a simple test.csv file resource into a test dataset,
checking the DataStore/API option for the resource

* When I visit the resource's page, the Preview section just displays
a thin pink bar across the screen (immediately below the "Embed"
button), just as it did before I enabled/config'ed the DataStore

* When I visit <site>/api/data/<resource_id>/_search?size=5&pretty=true,
I get the following message:

"error": "IndexMissingException[[ckan-data] missing]",
"status": 404

* I noticed a mailing list post from a few weeks ago referencing the
IndexMissingException error and the suggested fix was to get celery
running.  Celery should be working via supervisor but just to be sure,
I did paster celeryd in my dev environment and got the same error
messages.

Any suggestions much appreciated!

Thanks,
Jim