[ckan-dev] Storing/searching/displaying XML resources

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Fri May 11 03:00:04 UTC 2012

On 8 May 2012 04:26, Haq, Salman <Salman.Haq at neustar.biz> wrote:

> Also, one more question:
>
> Why use Solr to power site search and Elastic Search as a document store
> when either could fulfill both purposes.

SOLR cannot support data / document store conveniently as it does not
supported nested data structures, and does not provide a very good
restful API out of the box.

SOLR is used for site search for historical reasons (ie. elasticsearch
did not exist when we first introduced full text search). Going
forward we could switch to ElasticSearch (esp with plugins like [1]).

Rufus

[1]: https://github.com/mattweber/elasticsearch-mocksolrplugin