[ckan-dev] Search functions in CKAN; custom schema.

Friedrich Lindenberg friedrich.lindenberg at okfn.org
Wed May 30 13:47:38 UTC 2012

On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 3:26 PM, David Raznick <kindly at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 2:16 PM, Rufus Pollock <rufus.pollock at okfn.org> wrote:

>>> I do not think performance will be in an issue unless people are
>>> adding 100s of datasets.  We should have the parsed documents on a
>>> different index then the tabular data though. (you can still search
>>> across indexs)
>>
>> This point was about *querying* across multiple datasets/resources not
>> about loading.
>
> My point about having it on a separate index covered that.  There
> should be *far* less data in all the documents then in say the whole
> of uk spending data (which I would hope to have in the datastore one
> day!)

Not sure about that, actually. This is 150 * 8 * rand(100-3000) pages
of content - both to be indexed and stored as is (some of it is
probably scanned).

>> [...]
>>>
>>> http://readthedocs.org/docs/ckan/en/latest/forms.html
>>
>> thanks. (BTW why not use http://docs.ckan.org/en/latest/forms.html ?)
>>
>> One suggestion having read these a bit is that links in specific
>> sections to relevant portion of the ckanext-example would be really
>> useful but could break quite a bit (perhaps just to relevant files).
>> But I understand the so many things, so little time aspect of things.

Sorry to be bitching here, but this is pretty hardcore: I need to boot
up CKAN, load vocab fixtures, write a plugin, install that, re-write
some of the templates which change with every release and install a
second version of them - just in order to get an enum into a form? Is
there any movement towards just having some model file (JSON, XML,
even ... RDF) in which I could describe my metadata schema and you'd
make a form for me?

Cheers, Fr.