[ckan-dev] Authors / maintainers

Jan Kučera elquenor at gmail.com
Wed May 30 14:42:41 UTC 2012

Hello,

I have some comments to this. Adding a Publisher field to the CKAN is a
good idea but I would keep the Author/Owner of the data and the Maintainer
of the data as well. Actually we can have up to four roles and up to four
different persons or organizations acting in these roles – Owner of the
data, Maintainer of the data, Publisher of the data and Maintainer of the
CKAN data catalogue record. For example a ministry can own a dataset but it
can have it maintained by one of its agencies or one of the employees. The
ministry can have the dataset published by a central publishing agency and
some different ministry can maintain a data catalogue for the whole
government so they will create and maintain records in this catalogue.

I do not think that the creator of the CKAN dataset should default to the
owner. I agree that it can be handy in some use cases but not in the
example above because it will not be true in every case and the workers
creating CKAN records would have to change it on many occasions.

Better solution might be the CKAN package templates. It can be a simple
blank CKAN package with some prefilled values. You would be able to create
a template where owner defaults to the CKAN package creator but it will not
affect users not using this template. Package templates might be a valuable
tool for the managers of the authorisation groups because they would be
able to create templates which can help them to standardize package
description within the authorization group.

Best regards

Jan