[ckan-dev] Searching the archives.

Sean Hammond sean.hammond at okfn.org
Wed Nov 7 17:07:33 UTC 2012

> One easy option would be to set up Nabble to archive the list, making
> it searchable and browsable.
>
> See eg:
>
> http://osgeo-org.1560.n6.nabble.com/OSGeo-Spanish-Local-Chapter-f3736386.html
>
> You can even group similar lists and search across them:
> http://osgeo-org.1560.n6.nabble.com/OSGeo-Local-Chapters-f3720212.html
>
> This can be set up in minutes and we'd have it for any new message to
> the list, but I'm not sure if it can import the old archives.
>
> What do people think?

I think a better list archive would be a good thing to have. I was just
following a thread on the current list archive, but it only does
threading within a given month, so you keep clicking the next message
link until you get to the "end" of the thread and next message takes you
to the start of the next thread, but actually that was not the end of
the thread because it continued into the next month, anyone trying to
use this interface would probably think it was the end of the thread and
stop reading. Not very good for e.g. sending people links to email
threads.

Nabble does put banner ads on the botom of emails which is gross but I
don't know of a better option.

There was talk of moving ckan-discuss to a google group recently. I
think google groups come with online archives. They probably have ads on
them too. Tried to find an example, but whenever I try to go to a google
groups page I seem to get redirected to a login page.