[ckan-dev] New project, which version? 1.8, 1.9 or 2.0?

Toby Dacre toby.okfn at gmail.com
Mon Nov 12 15:21:52 UTC 2012

On 12 November 2012 14:19, Peder Jakobsen <pjakobsen at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Just starting a new project which is due to go live in March. The
> requirements are somewhat flexible.  Wondering what version you would
> advise me to go with. 1.8, 1.9, or 2.0?  Has a date been set for a 2.0
>  release?  Also wondering if 1.* extensions are compatible 2.0.

Personally I'd recommend going for 2.0 although it is still in development
which might cause you some issues (major authorization changes are pending)
and there may be bugs.

Essentially in 2.0 Ckan changes it's templating system from ghenshi to
jinja2. Genshi templates are scheduled to be depreciated in later
versions.  Jinja templates make customising ckan much easier as well as
providing a more polished look and feel.  Be aware that changes to the
templates remain likely although if you are extending them via a custom
extension an {% ckan_extend %} then you should be fairly safe.

As far as 1.0 extensions working in 2.0 (using jinja2 templating) it very
much depends on the extension.  Extensions relying on IGenshiStreamFilter
will no longer function but ones that provide functionality via
ITemplateHelpers may do.  There are differences in how JavaScript is
included by extensions between versions.  It may be best to assume that 1.0
extensions will not work with 2.0.  Some extensions have been/are being
converted to 2.0 but that work may be in a separate branch.  Generally
converting extensions should be fairly straightforward.

By adopting 2.0 now you avoid making the transition later, unless you are
planning to make major customisations or will rely on extensions that are
not compatible and cannot be easily updated.

I cannot comment on the expected release date of 2.0

 Toby