[ckan-dev] CKAN Metadata Configuration (e.g. DataCite)

Sean Hammond sean.hammond at okfn.org
Thu Nov 22 11:42:02 UTC 2012

> We are investigating the use of CKAN for managing/publishing research
> datasets. We see in the documentation that the metadata model is
> flexible, but we haven't seen in the documentation where/how this
> takes place. Can someone please provide a pointer?
>
> FYI, we are interested in implementing a model much like DataCite,
> e.g. http://schema.datacite.org/meta/kernel-2.2/index.html

I think you probably want to write a simple CKAN extension and use the
IDatasetForm plugin interface to customise the dataset metadata schema:

http://docs.ckan.org/en/latest/writing-extensions.html

http://docs.ckan.org/en/latest/forms.html

http://docs.ckan.org/en/latest/writing-extensions.html?highlight=idatasetform#ckan.plugins.interfaces.IDatasetForm

There's a working example IDatasetForm plugin here:

https://github.com/okfn/ckan/compare/master...2750-add-docs-and-examples-for-idatasetform-and-igroupform