[ckan-dev] 2939-orgs branch

Toby Dacre toby.okfn at gmail.com
Sun Oct 14 15:19:52 UTC 2012

Hi,

I've done the last few fixes to this branch around membership, and am about
to head off to Portugal for hopefully a bit of late sunshine.

I think there is some further work to do as suggested by Sean and others

from my point of view this would include

1) removing any imports of authz.py as it is no longer used

2) moving the new_authz.py into logic.auth.__init__.py (as well as deciding
on what is private etc) - maybe move some of the roles/permissions stuff
into another file

3) probably a general cleanup of_all_ the auth functions to check their
fitness / error messages etc

4) tests around the auth functions and new actions - probably needs an
improved testing mechanism and things like test data creation on via actions

5) A little polish to the member pages and probably a little hardening of
the controller and logic actions @johnmartin the user autocomplete on
member add needs fixing it gets data but does not understand what to do
with it

6) checking the logic around the who can do what from the user stories -
via some tests may be a good approach

7) The requesting membership user stories and implementation remain needed

8) add the functionality to legacy templates

As an aside - if I had the time a few things I'd try to do in ckan

a) remove the config from jinja2 templates get all such stuff via g.
(before 2.0)

b) strip more functionality from controllers and add via template helpers
eg activity streams

c) refactor lib/base.py to remove the circular import issues (render
functions to lib/render.py - would fix much of that)

d) make the context auto-populated with things like user/model/session if
not user supplied - especially for extensions (pre 2.0) maybe via a helper
or else a decorator on the action - helper seems nicer maybe done via
get_action()

e) make lib/helpers more template specific and less generally shared with
none template uses (some functions are shared but many shouldn't be) -
again help avoid circular imports

f) make lib/base.py be more like it was originally intended eg defines
stuff that is shared eg _ but maybe try to include stuff like
render/get_action if the circular import stuff can be solved - which should
be doable if hard and likely needs an extra file or two for the externals _
etc

g) improve the front-end usability I think there is still much that is
unintuitive

h) remove all direct calls to logic action and auth functions

Anyhow,  Good bye to you all and good luck with the project, was fun
working with you.  Who knows I might be back again ;)

Toby