[ckan-dev] News from CKAN

Augusto Herrmann augusto.herrmann at gmail.com
Wed Oct 10 12:51:59 UTC 2012

Hi, Mark!

Good to hear the new develpments of CKAN!

I have a couple of questions about the planned CKAN 2.0.

Is it going to use the Pyramid web framework? As I recall, it replaces
Pylons (the web framework currently used for CKAN) in the Pylons Project.
This would put CKAN inline with the new features introduced in Pyramid as
well as bugfixes. Pylons already has "legacy" status. And since the
codebase is new, I suppose little reason for keeping it. Some differences
are outlined in the Pyramid FAQ:

http://docs.pylonsproject.org/en/latest/faq/pyramid.html

The other question is about backwards compatibility. I don't suppose 1.x
extensions compatibility will be a requirement for CKAN 2.0, but I think
that should be made a clear statement. However, IMO there should be an easy
way to migrate data from a CKAN 1.x instance to 2.0.

Best regards,
Augusto Herrmann
Open Data Team - Ministry of Planning - Brazil