[ckan-dev] CSW, ISO and Spatial Extension

Ryan Clark ryan.clark at azgs.az.gov
Sat Oct 27 20:47:55 UTC 2012

Hi Bruce --

Very good to hear that there are other people interested in this.

We've landed on what is a similar approach for our work up to this point -- one system with a nice interface for content management, then ship that content off to another application in order to provide a CSW service. Presently we're using a custom application for content management utilizing Django, Node.js and CouchDB. That system presents a "web-accessible folder" that is harvested into ESRI's Geoportal in order to provide a CSW interface. If you're curious at all, you can find the CMS at http://repository.stategeothermaldata.org. Metadata is output to http://repository.stategeothermaldata.org/metadata/record.iso.xml. The CSW endpoint is running at http://catalog.stategeothermaldata.org/geoportal/csw?request=GetCapabilities&service=CSW

It is a relatively complicated system involving a bunch of technologies and at least three disconnected code bases. We've got an opportunity to build a more cohesive system, and CKAN looks like a good fit. Plus there's the **huge** benefit of working with an existing user/developer community that's growing around CKAN vs. the "community of one" that's playing with our existing systems.

Hopefully I'll be looking into it more over the coming weeks. I'm really hoping to get some feedback from the folks who built the existing CSW extension in order to better understand the use cases they were trying to facilitate. It would also be really great to learn about the roadmap for the spatial extension, which is clearly getting some significant attention and deserves even more!

Thanks!

Ryan Clark
ryan.clark at azgs.az.gov
(520) 302-4871