[ckan-dev] Deployment: file minification and other issues

Toby Dacre toby.okfn at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 14:20:26 UTC 2012

Hi,

As one of the effects of merging the fanstatic branch into the demo theme
and using in a production environment is the minification of resources (.js
and .css).

In the current scheme files are minified when we start the server however
this is not very workable in a production environment where the write
permissions are more tied down.  For the moment I've allowed the
minifications to fail (and as we only serve existing minified files- the
full ones get served instead)

So it feels like we need to do the minification of the files and push them
to the repo.  But doing this too often may create noise in commits that
isn't very helpful.  We now have to build the css files specifically for
production so I think we should probably do this at the same time.  .js
translations also need creating.  It seems sensible to have this as a
single process.  What about file minifications in extensions?

Are there any other things that should also be done at this time?  Or
should these be kept as separate processes - currently the css generation
is done via a js script and that should really be callable via paster.

Do people have opinions on this?

Cheers
Toby