[ckan-dev] Updating group via API clears its packages

Joshua Tauberer tauberer+consulting at govtrack.us
Sun Sep 16 20:13:15 UTC 2012

Hi everyone. First time posting.

Over at http://hub.healthdata.gov we're populating site data entirely
through the API. I'm now creating groups. I found that when I update a
group, any packages previously contained in the group are no longer
associated with the group.

Is that the expected behavior?

Psudo-log:

curl http://.../api/2/rest/group/cdc
   -> shows several packages

curl -d '{"title":"New Title"}' -H "X-CKAN-API-Key: ..." \
   http://.../api/2/rest/group/cdc
   -> no more packages!

If that's the expected behavior, it's not a particular problem at the
moment to always re-submit the list of packages on each update. But
eventually we hope to scale up and it'd be preferable not to pass
thousands of packages back and forth on simple updates.

This is on CKAN 1.7.

Unrelatedly, I submitted a github puil request last week for three other
issues. Just wanted to quickly flag it here:

https://github.com/okfn/ckan/pull/124

Thanks,

--
- Joshua Tauberer