[ckan-dev] Using CKAN for research data management

Nick Jackson nijackson at lincoln.ac.uk
Thu Sep 6 13:39:48 UTC 2012

Stealing my thunder as well, I was just about to send a mail round the list introducing myself and explaining what our plans are for CKAN!

I'm Nick, the lead developer of Orbital (explained in more depth at our blog). Specifically we're now developing both an external harness for CKAN to integrate it with our existing and planned project management infrastructure (for example automatically creating organisations and groups for research projects) and CKAN extensions to handle things like integrating with policy documentation (in the spirit of http://trac.ckan.org/ticket/2234) and support of resource deposition using the SWORD2 protocol (http://swordapp.org/sword-v2/). If anybody from the development community is particularly interested in these we'd love to get in touch, since we're all brand new to CKAN and are still wrapping our heads around exactly how things click together.

We're also interested in using the DataStore APIs to allow CKAN to act as a real-time repository of working datasets, and will be looking at harnesses, extensions and improvements in this area as well.

Nick Jackson
Lead Web Developer
Orbital Project • CERD

Telephone: 01522 886570