[ckan-dev] Updating group via API clears its packages

David Read david.read at hackneyworkshop.com
Mon Sep 17 17:30:17 UTC 2012

On 17 September 2012 10:48, Sean Hammond <sean.hammond at okfn.org> wrote:
>> Over at http://hub.healthdata.gov we're populating site data
>> entirely through the API. I'm now creating groups. I found that when
>> I update a group, any packages previously contained in the group are
>> no longer associated with the group.

I think because this API is RESTful, when you update an object then
you update everything about it in one go. You can't pick and choose
bits to update. That is the inflexibility / simplicity of RESTful
APIs. It's just like a file on a disk - if you open() and write(),
then you replace whatever was there before.

In contrast, the normal way to update in the RESTful world is to GET
the object, edit the bits you are interested in and then PUT it back.
So as long as you don't delete the list of packages in your copy of
the object then you are ok. (Although there is another issue, that
other edits submitted in the meantime do get overwritten, but lets not
get into "file locks"...)

So this is one of the reasons that the Action API was produced, that
Sean mentions. It's RPC, and a lot more flexible. I've not checked,
but if there is not a function to edit just the Group's core
properties (i.e. not the packages in it or user memberships) then that
it is sorely lacking.

Dave