[ckan-dev] Updating group via API clears its packages

Sean Hammond sean.hammond at okfn.org
Wed Sep 19 09:35:38 UTC 2012

> >So this is one of the reasons that the Action API was produced, that
> >Sean mentions. It's RPC, and a lot more flexible. I've not checked,
> >but if there is not a function to edit just the Group's core
> >properties (i.e. not the packages in it or user memberships) then that
> >it is sorely lacking.
>

> I haven't looked much at the actions API because it's labeled in the
> docs as beta, and I'm averse to using a beta feature on a production
> website. Is it production ready?

It has some issues that it sometimes gives uninformative error messages,
but most of the time it gives good errors, and as far as I'm concerned
it's currently the best version of the API to use as it supports more of
CKAN's features and has better documentation.

I would like to update the CKAN docs to present v3 as the production
version of the API and v1 and v2 as legacy versions, but I just haven't
had time to do this yet.

> (In the meanwhile, as I said originally, I'm fine re-sending the
> package list on updates if that's how it's supposed to work.)

That's what I recommend for now but I'll make a ticket for this because
I think the behaviour should be changed.