[ckan-dev] Rating system for cKan

David Read david.read at hackneyworkshop.com
Thu Sep 27 10:00:32 UTC 2012

On 26 September 2012 10:43, Sean Hammond <sean.hammond at okfn.org> wrote:
>> I have been having some issues and would simply like to have rating for
>> data sets. Is it possible to have rating's? Or is there an already public
>> module. Given cKan is built on Pylons are there extensions available from
>> Pylons to enable data set ratings?
>
> It depends on what exactly you mean by 'rating'.
>
> The ckanext-qa extension automatically gives each dataset an 'openness
> score' of 1-5 stars.
>
> If you mean user ratings of datasets, that could be implemented as a
> CKAN extension but as far as I know no one has done it yet. Actually, we
> _may_ be working on a feature like this in the near future, but I'm not
> sure about that yet.

We had a user rating feature at one point - logged in users could
score a dataset 1 to 5, and it would show the average score and number
of scores. We didn't get many votes and it didn't really reflect
quality datasets. Maybe a 'like' button is more the thing. Or maybe
the number of hits or click-throughs to the download a dataset gets.
I'd be interested to examine the contributing factors where user
ratings has worked on other sites, as we didn't seem to hit the nail
on the head with our one.

Dave