[ckan-dev] Urgent: org changes clarification

Toby Dacre toby.okfn at gmail.com
Thu Sep 27 11:55:28 UTC 2012

On 27 September 2012 12:40, Sean Hammond <sean.hammond at okfn.org> wrote:
>> from
>>
>> https://raw.github.com/okfn/ckan/c49c3d7a6e6a635ceecd796b55a679f519242830/doc/organizations_and_groups.rst
>>

>> * **Anyone** can see a list of all an organization's _public_ datasets
>> * **Anyone** can see a list of all a group's datasets (groups can't
>> have private datasets, they're all public)
>>
>> This is contradictory/broken logic
>>
>> options
>>
>> a) any dataset can be in a group but viewers of the group only see
>> datasets they can see
>> b) any private datasets are never seen as groups datasets even though
>> they may be in the group
>> c) if a dataset becomes private it is removed from ALL groups it is in
>> (REGARDLESS of any rights they have to ANY of those groups)
>>

>> I vote for (b) what do people think?
>
> I see what you mean. (a) is simpler than (b), because if a dataset
> belongs to some groups and then it gets made private it simply still
> belongs to those groups, but people won't see it unless they're a member
> of its organization. Then if it gets made public again, it just
> continues belonging to the same groups but people can see it now. Would
> be the same for tags, from the user's point of view.

I disagree

b) is easy as all users see the same results for the group so group
list stays simple just filters out private datasets

a) is essentially the same as b except we need to now worry about the
users orgs etc so add that complication to group list

for b) the dataset stays in the group but is hidden
> Whereas with (b) when someone makes a dataset private you have to remove
> it from any groups it's in, then if they make it public again, do you
> add it back to the groups or not?

it just stays there but we only see if public regardless of our orgs
so groups are the same for all people

>> Also on the bigger issue can we agree that datasets organization
>> owners can do things like remove them from groups regardless of group
>> ownerships and do we make this more explicit?
>
> Hmm. I think only group members should be able to add things to groups,
> although organization members would be able to 'hide' datasets from
> groups by making them private.
>
> I'm not sure whether organization members should be allowed to remove a
> dataset from a group. On the one hand they are supposed to be able to
> edit the datasets in their organization so they would expect to be able
> to edit the groups. On the other hand, if they are not a member of a
> group they are not supposed to be able to add and remove datasets from
> the group. I'm leaning towards they cannot add or remove a dataset from
> a group unless they're a member of that group.
>
> But there's potential trouble when someone could create a group with a
> stupid name and add a lot of datasets to it, then the stupid name
> appears under Groups on the dataset's page and the members of the
> dataset's organization can't get rid of it.

this would be fun - Your Org Sucks ;) group

> Anyway, I think the plan is to implement organizations as described in
> the spec but to leave groups as they are currently (and not try to make
> them match the spec) and to remove groups from the frontend and replace
> them with organizations. So CKAN 2.0 will have only organizations and
> not groups, although in the backend the groups feature would still be
> there and could be finished off at some point. That's what we agreed
> right?

yeah but they need to change as regards private datasets