[ckan-dev] Problem installing CKAN

Eduardo Bejar wonka at fundapi.org
Tue Apr 2 20:59:12 UTC 2013

Hello everyone,

I've been trying to setup CKAN latest version on a Centos 6.3 server
following this guide:

https://github.com/okfn/ckan/wiki/How-to-Install-CKAN-2.0-on-CentOS-6.3

and still can't make it work. I'm stuck in the "Final CKAN Configuration"
part. So far I have postgresql and tomcat 6 working; also if I point the
browser to http://my-site-url.com:8080 I see the Apache Tomcat success page.
And if I open http://my-site-url.com:8080/solr/ I see:

Welcome to Solr!
Admin ckan-schema-1.3
Admin ckan-schema-1.4

But when I run

paster --plugin=ckan db init

I get

[ckan.lib.search.common] [Errno -2] Name or service not known

and

File "/usr/lib64/python2.6/socket.py", line 553, in create_connection for
res in getaddrinfo(host, port, 0, SOCK_STREAM):
gaierror: [Errno -2] Name or service not known
2013-04-02 15:31:19,670 WARNI [ckan.lib.search] Problems were found while
connecting to the SOLR server

Same thing when I run

paster --plugin=ckan sysadmin add admin --config=development.ini

Any suggestions about what should I try? If I ping my-site-url.com I can see
that the DNS resolves correctly to the IP and get echo response from the
server.

Thanks,

Eduardo