[ckan-dev] Remaining documentation issues for CKAN 2.0

Sean Hammond sean.hammond at okfn.org
Tue Apr 16 20:19:27 UTC 2013

I've gone over the remaining docs issues on github.

I moved three of the issues into 2.1, we can forget about these for now:

https://github.com/okfn/ckan/issues?labels=docs&milestone=3&page=1&state=open

There are 12 remaining high priority docs in the CKAN 2.0 milestone,
these are the ones we need to get done:

https://github.com/okfn/ckan/issues?labels=docs%2Cpriority.high&milestone=1&page=1&state=open

They're all assigned to people.

There are 9 non-high-priority issues still in the 2.0 milestone:

Update writing extensions docs
Update Release Process docs
Move 'Contrib & Tools' page from docs to github wiki
Remove 'Common Error Messages' docs
Update 'Load Datasets' docs
Update Publishing Datasets docs
Update Linked Data & RDF docs
Remove Comments and Commenting docs
Improve the apps & ideas docs

Some of these will probably get done as people have already started on
them, others won't.

Once we've all written as many docs as we have time to, I'll use
whatever remaining time I can get to take an overall look and rearrange
things, and also delete any out-of-date pages that we haven't had time
to update.

If I can get the overall structure of the docs down to something much
simpler, then I hope that in future it'll be easier to break down docs
into one-person tasks like "document feature X" or "update docs for
feature X", then we can iteratively improve the docs in individual
chunks that can be bitten off by individual devs as and when they can,
without so much confusion about "should this be removed?", "should this
be rearranged?", "does this need to be updated?"

However, this sort of restructuring will need some thought and probably
at least a couple of days' work